This series of sketches of historical sites, by local artist Colleen Mulrooney, has been reproduced several times
as both postcards and calenders.

The Packing Shed

Apples and pears aplenty, is what this building was all about in the 1920's. 
Used by a farmer to pack his fruit before being carted by ox-wagon
to the nearby cider factory or salted for future use.

This romantic version is in fact not true.  The old barn on the MacDougall’s farm, situated in Varkensfontein, has only ever been used to store hay and teff.  The property belonged to the Walker Family until Arthur Walker 2nd death in 2005.  The MacDougall’s had been renting for nearly 30 years and decided it was time to buy.  The shed still stands but is hardly used nowadays, except for the flock of peacocks that have made it their roost.  The main farmhouse, still in almost original condition was built in 1896.  The high ceilings, sash windows and stained glass bear testimony to a grand old era.  The verandah was modified some years ago when the house underwent repairs, but its charm remains in tact.

Walkerville-history Walkerville-history

Walkerville-history Walkerville-history

The MacDougall Farm in Varkensfontein, 1926
the area Varkenfontein was named after the arum lillies that grew wild in the area



Lonely Thatched Cottage

What a proud man it was when he had completed this charming cottage in the early 1930's for his family.
Traveling from the Free State this corner of Walkers Fruit farms
with its trees and plentiful water must have seemed idyllic.

Nothing but a ruin remains of this historic landmark.  Surrounded by car wrecks and junk it is a sad sight.  Its solid walls and sturdy gables attest to original builder’s skill.  The property is for sale.  Hopefully whoever buys it will feel that same sense of pride the original builder felt, and restore it to its former quaint charm.

Walkerville-history Walkerville-history


The Chapel

Peace on earth is the feeling when visiting this private family chapel.

Walkerville-history Walkerville-history

Built to commemorate his late Mother, a local farmer chose a beautiful view site next to the final resting place of the farm's previous family. Some of the graves date back to the early 1900's among them Charles Glass - not the Charles Glass of Castle Lager fame. Althought asked many times the family steadfastly refuses to allow the use of this grave for advertsing.

Perdeberg Cottage

Nestling at the base of this majestic koppie is a house believed to be the oldest in Walkerville.
Built in the late 1870's Paul Kruger was pleased to sleep here when
visiting the Heidelberg Commando, who were active in the area.

This sturdy bulding is situated on Charlie Jacob's farm (now part of the Blue Rose Development) in Drumblade.  Nowadays it is used for storage and labourer's quarters.  What a fabulous little B&B, or restaurant, it would make!  The inside was in good condition and the cottage is suprisinlgy large. See more photos on the page Perdeberg

Walkerville-history Walkerville-history


Rumour abounds about this koppie in the Walkerville area.

Was it the scene of fierce fighting between the Boers and the British red Coats in the First War of Independence or an Observation post which changed hands many times during the Anglo Boer War?  Is the deep hole a well or a shaft for iron, which might have been mined by the native tribes which moved through this area on their way to Zimbabwe?  One thing cannot be disputed, it is a peaceful, beautiful view-site today. Read more about these ruins on the page Perdeberg


Workhorse Farm


Situated in Walkers Fruit Farms is where craftsmen ply their trade from another era,
building coaches and carts.  These were made completely by hand
including the wheels - using skills passed down over three generations. 
The organically run farm is a delight and indicates how a
farm operated many years ago in the Walkerville area.


Walkerville-history Walkerville-history

Walkerville-history Walkerville-history

These delightful buildings in Walkers Fruit Farms are situated on Colin Tegner’s property.  Colin has been a resident in Walkers Fruit Farms since the 1960's.  A coach builder with an established reputation - he supplied all the coaches at Gold Reef City, and was recently commissioned by the King of Lesotho to build a Landau State Coach for delivery in September 2008.  Colin's property in Walkers Fruit Farms is a mini version of Gold Reef City with an assortment of cottages, workshops and an impressive showroom that houses several buggies, wagons and an Omnibus that is being registered for a resident in Henley.  All items on display have either been built, or restored in Colin's workshops. 


back to the history page

      (© 2008 Walkerville South Africa - design by EVP Designs